OffSec is the leading provider of continuous professional and workforce development, training, and education for cybersecurity professionals. Created by the community for the community, OffSec’s one-of-a-kind mix of practical, hands-on training and certification programs, virtual labs, and open-source projects provide practitioners with the highly desired offensive skills to get a job, advance their careers and better protect their organizations. OffSec is committed to funding and growing Kali Linux, the leading operating system for penetration testing, ethical hacking, and network security assessments. For more information, visit offsec.com and follow @OffSectraining and @kalilinux on Twitter.
Excited about our mission and what we do? Apply and join us!
About the Job
The Node JS Developer will join the software development team to help lead the team in designing and implementing the development of our consumer-facing, high-traffic, e-commerce and learning management web platform. The Node JS Developer will spearhead the best practice of software development lifecycle including design principles, development processes and tools, testing methodology, deployment process, and the ongoing support and maintenance of our platform. This position will be responsible for coming up with standards for the team to follow, assisting teams as needed, and also writing code for various key modules of the platform.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develops software solutions by identifying user and system requirements for our customer-facing, high-traffic, e-commerce and learning management web platform
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Proposes and enforces best practices for software development lifecycle
- Proposes coding standards and guidelines for the team to follow and enforce them through code review process
- Supports and develops software engineers by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities
- Collaborates with team to brainstorm and creates new ideas and solutions
- Grows engineering teams by interviewing, recruiting and hiring
- Designs the new web platform where security is part of the design consideration from the start
- Ensures that the platform is designed and coded so ongoing deployment, support and maintenance can be streamlined, following the CI/CD process
- Proposes and sets key metrics for platform performance so these metrics can be monitored to measure the platform’s performance in terms of uptime, speed, etc..
- Performs technical analysis to support the effective and efficient development efforts
- Writes code for key modules of the platform
- Designs testing methodology including automated unit testing of the platform modules; able to do some testing if/when needed
- Communicates on project/task status clearly and effectively with the management team, development team, and project managers
- Moves fast, bias towards action, follows the cycle of coding, iterating, testing, deploying and optimizing websites
- Other duties as needed
- 7+ years of application development experience.
- Experience designing and architecting high traffic consumer web applications (e.g. SaaS, e-commerce)
- 3+ years of experience in modern responsive UI development using HTML5/CSS3 with MVVM frameworks (e.g. React.js, Vue.js, AngularJS).
- Strong experience of building RESTful web services.
- Hands-on experience with MySQL table design, querying, indexing, and debugging.
- Experience working with message queues (e.g. RabbitMQ, SQS) and distributed caching (e.g. Memcached, Redis)
- Experience in building solutions on top of AWS such as ECS, S3, Lambda, API Gateway and others.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent problem-solving skills
- Experience in working with DevOps and Build pipelines (e.g. CI, CD).
- Hands on experience with agile development process
- Experience in python is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes).
This role is a full-time salaried position. Work hours for this position are flexible and will be performed from a home office.
This position has no direct reports.