OffSec is the leading provider of continuous professional and workforce development, training, and education for cybersecurity professionals. Created by the community for the community, OffSec’s one-of-a-kind mix of practical, hands-on training and certification programs, virtual labs, and open-source projects provide practitioners with the highly desired offensive skills to get a job, advance their careers and better protect their organizations. OffSec is committed to funding and growing Kali Linux, the leading operating system for penetration testing, ethical hacking, and network security assessments. For more information, visit offsec.com and follow @OffSectraining and @kalilinux on Twitter.
Excited about our mission and what we do? Apply and join us!
About the Job
An OffSec Student Mentor is responsible for providing support and guidance to OffSec students via live chat, support email and grading exams. Exam grading will be based on the certification(s) the individual has achieved. Based on the candidate’s strengths and preferences, duties will include supporting various project assignments such as online/remote course training, vulnerable machine testing, wiki creation, troubleshoot network connectivity and software development.
The Student Mentor role is a full-time salaried position with shift work required, including evenings and weekends. The shift hours for this position are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Duties and responsibilities
- Engage, collaborate and help students in OffSec Community Platform
- Support students in OffSec courses and lab machines via live chat and support email
- Exam grading
- Test, configure and deploy OffSec lab systems
- Troubleshoot issues with lab machines
- Proactively look for way to scale, streamline and improve business processes
- Participating projects including but limited to new course review, test lab machines, implementation of new tools and systems, etc.
- Create and maintain department document guidelines, procedures and processes
- Ensures daily tasks and ongoing student support are completed timely and satisfactory
- Assisting other team members as needed
- Participating and presenting live webinars to mentor and guide students’ learning journey
- Perform other duties as assigned
- OSCP certification
- Fluency in reading, writing, and comprehension of English
- 3+ years of well-rounded IT experience
- 2+ years of recent experience on server-side technologies and management
- 2+ years experience providing end-user technical support
- 2+ years experience operating and troubleshooting Linux and Windows operating systems
- Familiarity with enterprise-level networking configuration
- Familiarity with various IT security devices such as SIEM, Firewall, IPD/IDS, antivirus, etc
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong attention to detail, with excellent analytical and investigation skills
- Ability to work unsupervised in a high-pressure environment
- Exceptional multi-tasking abilities and prioritization skills
- A strong belief and understanding of being a team player in a remote working environment
- Experience in teaching and mentoring
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of networking, virtualization, Windows, storage, and backup
- Prior experience working remotely
- Experience working with customer service ticketing system(s)
- Experience in planning, installing, configuring, administering, managing, and supporting Windows and Linux
This role is a full-time salaried position with shift work required, including evenings and weekends. The shift hours are 18:00 GMT - 2:00 GMT.
This position has no direct reports.